The Betty Ife Fund- Not Currently Running
At this time, the Betty Ife Fund is not accepting applications. But, please see this page for information about the fund and Betty's legacy.
Information for North Shore VAWIR Service Providers:
Our colleague, friend and co-conspirator Betty Ife, passed away suddenly on March 20th, 2017. As well as the incredible work Betty did as a Family Justice Counsellor, Betty helped to set up the North Shore ICAT (Interagency Case Assessment Team) and was very active on the NS VAWIR (Violence Against Women in Relationships) committee. Amongst her many passions was a passion for women’s safety.
In Betty's memory, the Betty Ife Fund (BIF) is available for women and their children facing immediate financial barriers to getting themselves safe. We think this practical fund reflects Betty's practical side.
Women – including transgender women - on the North Shore who need emergency funds to address an immediate safety concern because of a current or former partner.
Can you give me some examples?
Getting locks changed because of the imminent release of a partner
Buying a bus ticket to leave town
What are examples of requests that probably wouldn’t qualify?
Damage deposit or rent for a new apartment
Anything that might use up all or most of the funds would have to be carefully considered
Still not sure?
Call Crystal, Bev or Connie to consult, or submit an application for your client
How does it work?
1. Fill out a BIF Application – get a copy from Connie (contact info below)
2. Fax or email it to Connie
3. The BIF committee will review the application and make a decision as quickly as possible
4. If the application is approved, someone from the committee will be in touch with you and the client to arrange to pass on a cheque
5. If the application is turned down, someone from the committee will contact the service provider to discuss the situation
6. NSCSS will assign a worker to the file and will need a client signature and receipts for accounting
Please note that Crystal, Bev and Connie work Monday-Thursday only, business hours.